||John Beard  |
||Milford, New Haven, Connecticut [1, 2]
||Milford Cemetery, Milford, New Haven, Connecticut 
- Children: John, Elizabeth, Mary or Maria, James, Anna, Joseph, Samuel, Jeremiah, Ebenezer, Sarah
The son of James and Martha Beard, he came with his mother to New England to Boston, removed to New Haven and then to Milford. He married Hannah Hawley shortly after her divorce from John Ufford.
John became a freeman in Sept., 1669. A carpenter by trade, there is a story about him in "A History of the descendants of Widow Martha Beard of Milford, Conn." by Ruth Beard, 1915. He was commission to Captain of the Milford trainband on Jan. 17, 1675 and served in the King Philip's War from 1675 -1676.
Capt. John Beard served as deputy for Milford to the General Court at Hartford almost continually from 1677 through his death in 1690. On Aug. 22, 1688, he was nominated by Thomas Trowbridge to be Sheriff of Milford.
He died intestate with a large estate of 1180 pounds, 5 shillings, and 50 pence. Hannah received the widow's dower (1/3 of the estate) and the remaining 2/3 was divided equally among their 10 children. [3, 4]
||3 Apr 2016 |
||Beard, d. Dec |
||Martha, b. Abt 1603, England , d. 11 Jun 1649, Milford, New Haven, Connecticut (Age ~ 46 years) |
- [S5666] Susan W. Abbott, (Genealogical Publishing Co., 1979), p. 84.
- [S6231] www.findagrave.com, 24 Aug 1690.
- [S6231] www.findagrave.com.
- [S5666] Susan W. Abbott, (Genealogical Publishing Co., 1979), p. 84-85.