1813 - 1892 (79 years)
||Genl. Joseph Reid Anderson  |
||16 Feb 1813
||Botetourt Co., Virginia 
||7 Sep 1892
||Isle of Shoals, New Hampshire 
||Hollywood Cemetery, Richmond, Virginia
- Civil War Confederate Brigadier General. He attended West Point, graduating 4th in the class in 1836 and was assigned as an officer to the 3rd U.S. Artillery. Recognizing his engineering abilities he was assigned as an assistant engineer to the Engineer Bureau, Washington D.C. before being officially transferred to the Corps of Engineers in 1837. Deciding his engineering career would best be served outside the military he resigned his commission and accepted the position of assistant engineer of the State of Virginia. He was chief engineer of the Valley Turnpike Company and later with the with the Tredegar Iron Company which by 1860, was producing locomotives, boilers, cables, naval hardware and cannon. With the outbreak of the Civil War, he offered his services to the Confederacy and was commissioned a Brigadier General on September 3, 1861. He commanded Confederate forces at Wilmington, North Carolina and was in command of the 3rd Brigade in A.P. Hill's newly formed Light Infantry Division in the Peninsula Campaign. In actions at Mechanicville, Gaines' Mill, and at Frayser's Farm White Oak Swamp, he was seriously wounded on June 30, 1862. He resigned his commission in July 1862 and returned to run Tredegar Iron Company as supervisor until the end of the war. The ironworks remained under U.S. Federal control until 1867, when he again assumed duties as supervisor of the Tredegar Iron Company.
General Joseph Reid Anderson was born at Walnut Hill, February 16, 1813, graduated from West Point Military Academy, second in a class of sixty-eight, and was Lieutenant U. S. A. Engineer Corps until 1838. He was founder of Tredegar Iron Works at Richmond, successor to Tredegar Iron Company which Joseph R. Anderson almost singiehandedly rescued from the hands of the Receivers and revived under the name of Tredegar Iron Works. The operation of the Tredegar Iron Works was so vital to the Confederacy that Richmond, its site, was held as long as possible by the Confederate Amy, long after it was otherwise militarily unprofitable to hold it. Joseph R. Anderson was commissioned Brigadier General by the Confederacy in 1861 and served with great gallantry in the field until ordered to take charge of the Tredegar Iron Works, from which the Confederacy so largely drew its ordnance supplies. Confederate cannon made by Tredegar Company, as most of it was, had stamped upon it "TF-JRA" (Tredegar Foundry -- Joseph Reid Anderson). So far as the writer knows, Joseph R. Anderson was the only general Botetourt County furnished to the Confederacy. General Anderson was several times a member of the House of Delegates of Virginia and President of the Richmond Chamber of Commerce, 1874-6, when he resigned to become President of the City Council of Richmond. He was a vestryman of St. Paul's Church from its founding in 1844 and a warden from 1873 until his death. He was buried with civic and military honors September 9, 1892, in Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond.
Joseph graduated from West Point in 1832, fourth in his class of 68, and served in the U. S. Engineers until 1838. Letters written by him at West Point to his brother, Francis, at Walnut Hill show a mature mind and character at that time.
In 1838 he founded the Tredegar Iron Works in Richmond and he acted as president of this company until his death in 1892. Four times during these years he reorganized and saved the life of this business.
He married, in 1837, Sallie Archer, daughter of Dr. Robert Archer, U. S. Army surgeon, and they had 12 children. He married secondly in 1882 the talented and charming Miss Mary Pegram.
When the shadow of war engulfed the state, he was commissioned a brigadier general by the Confederate government and served in the field. Yet the Tredegar was responsible for the manufacture of guns and ordnance for the great armies in the upper South and West and adjoining states, especially the Brooke gun, and the "Napoleon", the latter designed by him. So the government sent him back to the iron business.
Joseph R. Anderson became a member of St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Richmond (his own mother was an Episcopalian). He was senior warden of that church for most of his later life. Many monuments, including beautiful memorial windows naming the Andersons, are to be seen at St. Paul's now.
Children of Joseph and Sarah: Archer, Fannie Archer, Joseph Reid
Joseph and Sarah had twelve children [1, 2, 3, 4]
||4 Nov 2015 |
||William Anderson, b. 2 Jun 1764, Delaware , d. 13 Sep 1839, Walnut Hill, Botetourt, Virginia (Age 75 years) |
||Anne Thomas, b. 29 Dec 1779, d. 23 Jul 1848 (Age 68 years) |
||15 May 1796
||Frederick Co., Maryland [5, 6, 7]
- [S8249] Robert D. Stoner, (The Roanoke Historical Society, 1963), p. 273.
- [S6231] www.findagrave.com.
- [S6231] www.findagrave.com, Bio by John "J-Ct" Griffith.
- [S8259] The Four Anderson Brothers, Ellen Graham Anderson.
- [S7877] William Anderson Sons of the American Revolution Membership Application, 27 Feb 1918.
- [S8056] Maryland Marriages.
- [S8249] Robert D. Stoner, (The Roanoke Historical Society, 1963), 1796.