Our Family Genealogy Pages

Home Page  |  What's New  |  Photos  |  Histories  |  Headstones  |  Reports  |  Surnames


First/Given Name(s):


Last/Surname:



H. O. "Burr" Dauchy

Male Abt 1818 - 1897  (~ 79 years)


Personal Information    |    Media    |    Sources    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name H. O. "Burr" Dauchy  [1, 2
    Born Abt 1818  Connecticut Find all individuals with events at this location  [3, 4
    Gender Male 
    Occupation Carpenter, Jewelry Store Proprietor, Wheat Buyer  [5, 6
    Died 21 Feb 1897  Rushford, Fillmore, Minnesota Find all individuals with events at this location  [7, 8, 9
    Buried 24 Feb 1897  Oak Grove Cemetery, Rushford, Fillmore, Minnesota Find all individuals with events at this location  [8
    • Emmanuel Episcopal Church
    Notes 
    • Marital status: single

      Elected Surveyor of HIghways and Tax Collector, New Canaan, Dist. No. 11, 1851, source Vol. 1801, to page 235, Apr. 7, 1851

      On the 2d of July, 1868, the board (of Supervisors of Fillmore county) made a contract with Burr Dauchy to build a house for the poor of Fillmore county, on the poor farm, and passed a resolution to the effect that the sum of $2,000 be appropriated for this purpose. At their meeting on the 4th of September, 1868, an additional appropriation of $3,000 was made for the purpose of purchasing stock, furniture, and other necessary articles for use on the county poor farm. p. 289

      Dauchy Bros. Meat & Provisions Market - Dauchy Bros., natives of Canaan, Connecticut, resided at Lenora for five years before locating in Rushford. By 1868 they were established meat merchants on Mill Street and by 1871 they were engaged in the jewelry business. In september of that year, they dissolved partnership, with William and Son continuing the business. H. O. "Burr" Dauchy left the partnership to become a wheat buyer in Rushford. Chapter V, page 171

      Dauchy Bros. Meat and Provisions located on Mill St., one door south of W. L. Burr. Chapter II, p. 90
      Dauchy Bros. dwelling valued at $2000, meat market on Mill St. valued at $300. Chapter II, p. 83

      Business was booming in 1868 when Rushford was incorporated as a city, and there were three jewelry stores enjoying the increased merchandising activity. ... the Dauchy Bros. were conducting their trade from a jewelry store on Mill Street. (They) were also proprietors of a provisions and meat market on the same street. Chapter IX, p. 262
      Reproduced advertisement in untitled History of Rushford states:
      Dauchy Brothers, Dealer in Watches, Clocks, Jewelry, Silver and Plated Ware, Table and Pocket Cutlery. Howe's Improved Sewing Machines. The Weed Sewing Machines. Musical Instruments and Musical Merchandise of every description. Watches, Clocks and Jewelry repaired in the best manner and warranted. Rushford, Minn. Chapter IX, p. 262
      Burr Dauchy listed as Carpenter and Builder, Corner of Grove & Elm St. Chapter II, p. 87
      In 1877, John Reynolds was again practicing the tonsorial art having opened a barbershop in the billiard hall formerly operated by Burr Dauchy in the Boym block (old stone post office on Jessie Street) now under the proprietorship of Wm. Knapp. Chapter XII, p. 313

      1885 MN State Census, Rushford City, Fillmore Co., William Dauchy 70, H.E. 64, Burr 66

      Age at death: 79
      Name listed as Burr Dauchy on death record, burial date as 8 Mar 1897
      Death record lists parents as David and Polly, both of Connecticut

      Sunday night, Feb. 21, shortly before 12 o'clock Uncle Burr Dauchy breathed his last. Deceased has been in poor health for many years and for the past few weeks was confined to his bed. He was never married and has resided in this city with his brother William since 1866. He followed the occupation of a carpenter and builder until the infirmities of age came upon him. Had he lived until May he would have been 79 years old. The funeral took place yesterday Rev. S.W. Moran, of the Episcopal church, conducting the service.

      The Bed & Breakfast Worth Going to Jail for... The Old Fillmore County Jail and Carriage House... Circa 1869, a National Historic Place
      The Fillmore County jail was "authorized" by the Board of County Commissioners on September 5, 1868, when they resolved to "erect a new county jail for the safe keeping of prisoners." A bond sale was authorized on that date not to exceed eight thousand dollars.
      On November 20th of 1868, seven hundred fifty dollars was appropriated "for the purpose of paying for lots on which to build the County Jail and plans and specifications for said Jail…. On January 9th, 1869 the committee appointed by the Board of County Commissioners was authorized to increase the amount to be expended on the construction of the Jail to twelve thousand dollars. Construction of the County Jail commenced shortly after February 9th, 1869, when a payment (the first) was authorized in the amount of one thousand dollars for the services of the Jail's contractors, Burr Dauchy and G. R. Parker. Subsequent payments resulted in action by the Board of County Commissioners on January 5, 1870, "on motion resolved that as the Jail and Sheriff residence built for Fillmore County by Mssrs. Dauchy and Parker as per contract with the Board of County Commissioners is found complete as per plans and specifications be and is hereby accepted by us." Occupancy of the Fillmore County Jail and Sheriff's residence occurred shortly after this acceptance and payment of "the sum of two thousand dollars from the County Fund as a final payment on contract for building Jail………"

      In 1853, New Canaan finally voted to sell the Old Long School and build a new one. Mr. Burling D. Purdy was on the committee at that time and his influence was good then and through the later years. A piece of land was bought on Park Street where Mr. Groher's house now stands and extensive plans were made and discussed. The new school was to be
      a really beautiful building, forty feet square and two stories high, with an attractive pillared porch and a cupola on top. The specifications called for a good foundation, grained oak to be used everywhere inside, the space between the floors to be "deafened," blackboards to be built in the walls, and all the rooms to be wainscoted. The contract was given to Mr. Burr Dauchy for $2,469 and a tax of 40% was voted. Now came the greatest tragedy that ever befell District One. Between the time of this March meeting and the first of May, this new school which was to be so beautiful was burned down before it was finished. We can imagine the despair in the hearts of those who had spent so much care on the plans and also the feelings of the inhabitants who had pledged their financial support. They considered this latter aspect of the matter very seriously and at once voted to have the payments already made on the 20% tax refunded and began a long dispute with the builder, Mr. Dauchy. They had an agent and attorneys and there were suits and counter-suits. The Superior Court decided against the district and it was not until 1857 that the matter was finally settled.

      Went to sea and never returned [2, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16]
    Person ID I13267  Mindrum
    Last Modified 25 Sep 2015 

    Father David Dauchy,   b. 18 Jul 1790, Ridgefield, Fairfield, Connecticut Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 2 Sep 1827, Ridgefield, Fairfield, Connecticut Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 37 years) 
    Mother Polly Lobdell,   d. 3 Oct 1824, Ridgefield, Fairfield, Connecticut Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Married 1 Mar 1812  St. Stephen's Church, Ridgefield, Connecticut Find all individuals with events at this location  [17, 18
    • Rev. Reuben Hubbard
    Family ID F9223  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Documents
    Dauchy, Burr death record
    Dauchy, Burr death record

    Headstones
    Dauchy, William, Harriet, Annie and Burr
    Dauchy, William, Harriet, Annie and Burr
    Dauchy, Burr
    Dauchy, Burr

  • Sources 
    1. [S164] Rushford History, Chapter IX, Jewelry Stores, undated.

    2. [S275] Julia Lobdell, Simon Lobdell-1646 of Milford, Conn. and his descendants, (1907), p. 231.

    3. [S165] 1880 Minnesota Census, birth date.

    4. [S201] Burr Dauchy death record, Fillmore County HIstory Center, birth date and place.

    5. [S165] 1880 Minnesota Census, Carpenter.

    6. [S164] Rushford History, Chapter IX, Jewelry Stores, undated, Jewelry Store Proprietor, Wheat Buyer.

    7. [S201] Burr Dauchy death record, Fillmore County HIstory Center.

    8. [S8142] Emmanuel Episcopal Church Records, Rushford, Fillmore, Minnesota, Book 1, Burials, page 118.

    9. [S8161] Fillmore County Death Records, 1870-1940, Fillmore County Historical Society, Fountain, Minnesota, Book B&C, page 115, line 2.

    10. [S215] New Canaan Historical Society.

    11. [S1144] History of Fillmore County - 1882.

    12. [S199] History of Rushford: Railroad Boom Town, Volume II, published locally by the Rushford Area Historical Society from a collection of historical notes presented to the society by Alden O. Droivold, DVM. 1987.

    13. [S94] 1885 Minnesota State Census.

    14. [S1145] Burr Dauchy obituary, The Rushford Star, 25 February 1897.

    15. [S1146] http://www.jailhouseinn.com/index.htm.

    16. [S1147] New Canaan Historical Society Annual, 1945, pp. 22-23.

    17. [S212] Old Volume 2, St. Stephen’s Church Records, Ridgefield,CT.

    18. [S236] St. Stephen's Church Records 1784-1918, FHL US/CAN Film [1012867] Item 1.